Protection and Control Technician Apprentice
Company: OGE Energy Corp.
Location: Oklahoma City
Posted on: October 22, 2019
Responsible to approve proper installation of protective relay and
control equipment and their schemes to achieve engineering design
requirements for 69KV and above and power plant substations.
Coordinates with other departments for the accurate completion of
new construction and rework projects. Assists all areas and Power
Supply, upon request, for projects that require additional manpower
- Members in the apprentice program perform duties related to the
craft and consistent with their achieved level within the program
which may include:
- Approves new wiring and existing wire changes to assure that
engineering design requirements are accomplished and protection
schemes will function as designed.
- Installs, tests, maintains and troubleshoots relay & control,
power line carrier, fault recording and communication interface
equipment to assure proper and accurate operation.
- Conducts tests using trouble- shooting techniques and automated
test equipment to locate, isolate and repair defective equipment or
devices that have caused a failure or misoperation of relay and
control protective equipment.
- Assists in the development and training of newer technicians
and engineering trainees through on-the-job training and classroom
instruction when applicable. Training for peer technicians is
furnished, upon request.
- Conducts maintenance testing on all relay equipment removed
- Determines if the condition of the equipment is adequate for
retention and redistribution at other locations or should be
- Performs repairs and calibration on these relays when
- Practices and ensures that safe work methods and procedures are
being utilized in all aspects of daily activities.
- Maintains proper care of tools, equipment and supplies utilized
in job performance.
- Performs commissioning tests on new relay and control
protective equipment and RTU before it is placed in service to
ensure proper calibration and operation.
- Performs acceptance tests on new relay and control protective
- Performs maintenance and operational tests on Power Supply's
generator protective relays, when requested.
- Maintains a limited print file of some substations in the
- Maintains specialized stock of parts and equipment for all
areas to utilize.
- Stays current on pertinent technologies through continuous
- Associate Degree in Electrical/Electronics or Applied Science
with emphasis on Industrial Electrical Technology, OR a Two-year
certificate in Industrial Electrical/Electronics combined with
three (3) years industrial protection and controls experience.
- DOT Medical Card certification required within 90 days.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Basic computer skills including Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Organizational skills and ability to ensure complete and
- Ability to read and comprehend technical manuals and
- Mechanical and electrical skills. Mathematical skills.
- System Relay is a technical support team and, upon request from
other departments, can be sent to any area within the OG&E
system, day or night, to work in areas that may not be under their
- Alternate Work Schedules will be utilized to best fit the work
situation and reduce any jeopardy to customer load.
- Requires availability for emergency work after normal work
hours, when requested, including weekends and holidays.
- Requires working in adverse weather conditions.
- Requires working as a team member or independently without
- Obtain and maintain a Class 'A' Switchman Certification.
- Requires lifting and moving heavy objects exceeding 50 pounds
and working at heights exceeding 30 feet.
- Requires frequent travel throughout the OG&E system with
required overnight stay (could exceed 7 days). Out of town work can
account for 46 days average per year or more.
OGE Energy Corp. (NYSE: OGE), is headquartered in Oklahoma City and
is the parent company of Oklahoma Gas and Electric Company
(OG&E), a regulated electric utility serving more than 815,000
customers in Oklahoma and western Arkansas. In addition, OGE holds
26.3 percent limited partner interest and 50 percent general
partner interest in Enable Midstream Partners, LP.OG&E serves
more than 815,000 retail customers in Oklahoma and western
Arkansas, and a number of wholesale customers throughout the
region. OG&E, with about 6,900 megawatts of capacity, generates
electricity from natural gas, western coal, and wind. OG&E's
electric transmission and distribution systems span 30,000 square
Keywords: OGE Energy Corp., Stillwater , Protection and Control Technician Apprentice, Professions , Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!